Specializations & Areas of Expertise:
Specializations: Economic Development / Leadership Development
Areas of Expertise:
- Local Government Leadership
- Sustainable Development
- Lake Erie Coastal Development and Environmental Issues
Retail Market Analysis
- Lichtkoppler, F., O'Keefe, D., Lucente, J., Gabriel, T. (2015). The Great Lakes Charter Fishing Industry: 2002-2011. Fisheries, Volume 40 (Issue 5), pp. 200-212.
- Blaine, T. W., Lichtkoppler, F. R., Bader, T. J., Hartman, T. J., Lucente, J. E. (2015). An examination of sources of sensitivity of consumer surplus estimates in travel cost models. Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 151, pp. 427-436.
- Davis, G. A., Lucente, J. E. (2012). Local Government Leadership Education: Measuring the Impact of Leadership Skill Development on Public Officials. Journal of Extension, Volume 50, Number 2, Article #2RIB3.
- Lucente, J. E., Gabriel, T., Davis, G. A., Wellington, C., Lichtkoppler, F. (2012). Ohio's 2010 Lake Erie Charter Fishing Industry. Fisheries, Volume 37 (Issue 12).
Joe Lucente is an Assistant Professor and Extension Educator in Community and Economic Development with The Ohio State University Extension/Ohio Sea Grant College Program. Located at the Ohio State Extension office in Lucas County, he is responsible for research, education, and technology transfer of information concerning Lake Erie and the Great Lakes. His main responsibilities include developing and conducting an outreach education program on leadership development and capacity building, business retention and expansion, and related issues designed to improve the economic and environmental climate of the Lake Erie watershed. Clientele include economic development professionals, community development organizations, local governments, business associations, and individual businesses.
Joe is a member of many local and national organizations, including the Northwest Ohio Regional Economic Development Association, Toledo Area Chamber of Commerce, Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority, Greater Toledo Convention and Visitor's Bureau, North Central Ohio Regional Economic Development Association, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, Chair and Great Lakes Representative to the National Sea Grant Sustainable Coastal Community Development Network, and Sea Grant's National Coastal Communities and Economies Theme Team.
Joe obtained a Masters of Public Administration degree from the University of Akron in 1995. He received his Bachelor of Science in Applied Science degree from Youngstown State University in 1994 with a major in Criminal Justice and minor in Political Science. Joe’s previous experience included economic development positions in county and city government, as well as a major non-profit organization in northwest Ohio. Joe obtained the status of Certified Consultant in Business Retention and Expansion in June 2002 through Business Retention and Expansion International.
Joe has been with Ohio State University Extension and the Ohio Sea Grant College Program since February 2001.