"Worker-Owner Cooperatives" eXtension free Webinar
"Worker-Owner Cooperatives" Webinar
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 * 4:00-5:00 p.m. EST
Since the Great Recession there has been a great resurgence of interest in innovative ways of doing business. One such innovation is the Worker-Owner Cooperative. While popular in Europe, worker-owner co-ops have been less popular in the U.S., but that may be changing. The eXtension Cooperatives Community of Practice, in conjunction with USDA Rural Development Cooperative Programs and various state Cooperative Councils, will host a free webinar on Wednesday, December 18 from 4:00-5:00 p.m. EST where you can hear from worker-owners who will answer questions like:
- What are the advantages of a worker-owner cooperative over that of a traditional business and member cooperatives?
- What are the challenges of a worker-owner cooperative?
Each of the panel members will also talk about a worker-owner cooperative and the characteristics that make it a success. Panel members will include:
- Dr. Rebecca Kemble, Worker-Owner, Union Cab Cooperative of Madison, Madison, WI and President, US Federation of Worker Cooperatives
- Mr. Joe Rinehart, Rural Programs Coordinator, US Federation of Worker Cooperatives, San Francisco, CA
- Ms. Leslie Schaller, Director of Programming, The Appalachian Center for Economic Networks (ACEnets), Athens, OH
Panel moderator will be:
- Dr. Chester Bowling, Associate Professor, Ohio State University Extension
Webinar Link: connect.extension.iastate.edu/cooperatives. Enter as guest. Participants who pre-register here will receive a copy of the presentation materials and discussion summary. This webinar is FREE!